Call for artists – 20-21 Exhibits at WillowTree (Art@Work Program partnership) – submit to the database by July 20
Posted on July 15, 2020
The Durham Art Guild is excited to continue an annual partnership working with WillowTree in their newly expanded office space on the 3rd floor of the recently renovated Mill No. 1 Building at Golden Belt Campus in Durham. This is the same building as the DAG Gallery + Studios at Golden Belt Campus. WillowTree management and staff seek medium to larger scale 2-D works of art for 4 prominent common areas of their office. Some additional areas are optional. The aesthetic and design of the space lends itself to larger more contemporary works focusing on form, line and/or abstraction, but is not solely limited to those specific characteristics. WillowTree is interested in showcasing a diverse mix of art and artists.
ABOUT THE SPACE & EXHIBITION SCHEDULING
The architects designed the tech company’s office space with a forest as the inspiration. The cabins (the black structures in the middle of the office) are meant to be a place of grounding and gathering where people meet and share ideas. They also tried to choose finishes that were natural in material and color scheme. Teal and blue accents are seen throughout and in-line with their logo. It is expansive, contemporary, modern and clean with great amenities yet embraces the old warehouse charm including lots of exposed brick. WillowTree has targeted 4 higher traffic priority spots for their initial art rotations and images of these areas are at the base of this call.
One artist and their body of work will be showcased in the 1st 6-month cycle and one artist and their body of work will be showcased in the 2nd 6-month cycle.
DAG reserves Art@Work Program exhibit opportunities in our participating venues for DAG members. Membership is open to all local and regional artists (not just Durham residents) so please visit the membership tab on our website to join and learn more about the additional benefits of DAG membership. We strive to make membership accessible to a broad range of artists and arts enthusiasts by providing discounted student level memberships and membership scholarship options.
AWARDS & BENEFITS
A $2,250 honorarium will be given to each of the selected artists through this partnership for 2020-2021. We are pleased that this company embraces this commitment to supporting artists financially through these opportunities.
Submission Deadline: July 20, 2020 at 11:59pm (to be considered for this cycle!)
Notification: July 31, 2020
First exhibition cycle (one artist selected)
mid or late August 2020 – mid or late January, 2021
Second exhibition cycle (one artist selected)
mid or late January – mid or late August, 2021
• Artists working in any two-dimensional mediums are encouraged to submit a body of artwork for consideration. This opportunity is limited to 2-D artists due to space constraints and at WillowTree’s request. 3-D work that is wall-mountable can still be considered.
• Artists must be current DAG members and at least 18 years of age. If you are chosen for a DAG special exhibition, you must be a member at the time of your exhibition. Membership will be verified following your online submission.
• Artists must not have had a special solo exhibition at either DAG’s SunTrust Gallery, Room 100 Gallery/DAG Gallery at Golden Belt Campus or other community partnership venues within the last two calendar years unless you feel that the body of work you plan to showcase is significantly different since that last exhibition.
• Artists should have enough cohesive artwork in their portfolio in order to fill the exhibition space allocations for either cycle.
• FEE: $12 payable by credit card. Submission processing fees are nonrefundable
-This is a one-time fee for the Art@Work Program Artist Database for your work to be considered for this opportunity and others in the pipeline. With this centralized database we aim to reduce the number of submissions and fees for artists.
-If you already submitted your work to the Art@Work Program Artist Database then you are all set to go. Contact us with any questions. If you want to update your work samples, email us so we can un-submit your application for you to edit. There is no additional fee to do this.
NOTE: If the cost of the application processing fee is preventing you from entering this database/opportunity, please email email@example.com to discuss some scholarship options.
You can email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.