Posted on October 3, 2019
Friday, November 1, 2019 at 11:59pm
About the program:
The Creative Mentorship Program is a unique annual partnership between the Durham Art Guild and Student U. Together, our organizations connect high school students in Durham Public Schools with artist mentors from the Durham Art Guild. The program empowers students to discover and develop their creative voices and artistic skills through 20 weeks of one-on-one dedicated work with a professional artist, involvement with the local arts community through monthly field trips, and a culminating exhibition of their projects in the Durham Art Guild Gallery at Golden Belt.
Share your artistic talents and passions with a young creative mind!
Now going into year eight, the Creative Mentorship Program continues enriching the lives of Student U students by helping them to broadly envision their futures. They gain valuable tools for creative problem solving and creative self-expression while building a strong network that will support them in achieving their goals.
- Current Durham Art Guild membership. Participation in this program is a great benefit of being connected to DAG. To learn more about membership benefits, join, check on your membership, or to learn about scholarship options CLICK HERE.
- Completed online application. There are two separate applications linked below, one for new mentors and one for returning mentors. Choose the appropriate one and submit by Friday, November 1, 2019 at 11:59pm.
Program commitments upon acceptance:
- 2 hours in January, 2020 for mentor training and 2 additional hours in January, 2020 for group orientation
- 2 hours per week January 13 – May 29, 2020 to create work with your student in a shared studio at Golden Belt
- 1 Saturday afternoon per month January – April, 2020 for field trips to area arts organizations or for group workshop events
- 4 obligations in June, 2020 for exhibit installation, exhibit celebration events and exhibit take-down
This is a paid position. Each mentor receives a stipend of $280 per month for January-May ($1,400 total) in honor of their time, expertise and dedication to the students and program.
Please be sure to read through the entire program information document linked below for full program details before applying.
General Program Information: LINK HERE
New Mentor Application: LINK HERE
Returning Mentor Application: LINK HERE
If you have questions about the Creative Mentorship Program and the application process, please contact Chellie LaPointe, DAG’s Education and Outreach Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.